Monday, January 31, 2011

48 Hours Mystery: Food for Thought

Recently my mom and I have been watching "48 Hours Mystery", a show on CBS that investigates real life murder cases and how they were solved. This documentary type show combines investigative journalism with forensic science and psychology to give a detailed picture of victims and perpetrators in the murder cases. In the past these kinds of murder mysteries would frighten me but my mom has always been interested in forensic science and solving crimes. If she were not a nurse she told me she would want to be a detective to solve murders. I can always remember watching "America's Most Wanted" with her in the past and getting nightmares from the prospect of notorious criminals on the roof. My 9 year old mind seemed to assume that criminals at large resided in my closet or under my bed. As I matured I out grew this irrational fear or so I thought.

This show follows shocking murder cases that seem almost impossible and even horror movie material. From a serial killer on a multi state killing spree nicknamed "The Railroad Killer" to an alluring woman who lured a man into killing her ex lover. This may seem like a creative concept for an interesting character but the fact is, these are real people, real monsters capable of committing the most horrific crimes. These perpetrators are the embodiment of evil and though they are on the extreme left of human conscience their stories are eye opening. Though these stories are very frightening it is useful to have a healthy suspicion of people to remain safe and be aware. I do not mean thinking everyone is out to get you but simply making smart decisions for our personal welfare and for the safety of others. It also reminds us of the evil man is capable of and the good that can come from the absolute worst of situations. The victims who live to tell their stories feel they received a second chance at life and devote themselves to living true and good lives.

I have become very interested in journalism and have been watching many shows and reading many articles to see which area sparks my interest. My mom got me to watch 48 Hours at first and now I am very intrigued by the idea of investigative journalism. The combination of journalism and psychology in 48 hours fascinates me and from this I may have a career prospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment